[TAG] found something in the attic...
kh1 at khherrmann.de
Fri Jan 13 01:13:58 MSK 2006
I will take sides on the no fraction along Thomas Adams thoughts.
The mailing list wasn't ment to be publically available until this came
up now. As Thomas I wouldnt like to have all of my posts suddenly public
back to the time I joined tag. Some of the reasons are:
- Even if you consider hiding E-mails inefficient I find a significant
difference between khh@ and kh1@ -- the latter being available
widely on websites and public lists. khh@ is still readable in he
webinterface when I'm away from home. kh1@ isn't, I *have* to run it
through spamassassin. Unfortunately my mailer was misconfigured for
some time and sent all tag replies with khh@ Which I wouldn't like to
- Content: Some posts were rather private jokes in a very OT thread and
I don't see why these should be public outside tag. e.g. Probably
everybody had a bad day once in a while and posted an answer a little
more harsh then it warranted. Or I've just been thick and didn't get
the question or an answer. Until now these posts have been edited and
the relevant parts have been selected for TAG column, and I think
rightly so. That gave the "freedom" to try an answer and be corrected
by others if wrong. I wouldn't "try an answer" on a newsgroup.
- Just for the last year there are almost 5000 posts (thats when I
started collecting TAG mail on this particular box). Going back to the
beginning of tag and publish them would mean you should get permission
or at least ask many people who are not on tag any longer.
- lg.com has unedited postings and they have little signal to noise.
Yes, the postings are not by "tag" but by "uneducated rubble", but
- All/Many/some of us would have to go through a few thousand posts
each and check for stuff we would like to flag for no-pub.
- If we would agree on making it public from now on there would have to
be a moderator (i.e. you, the volunteer) checking every single post
before putting it through the mboxToHtmlifier for publishability.
- This would double the work -- we put a selection in the tag column
and a little wider selection in the archive, but still a selection.
- Once it's out its in the mirrors and unretractable.
So -- my few cents.
More information about the TAG